With many of our clients leading really busy lives, it’s imperative that we always have super energising foods as part of their nutrition plans!
So without further a due, please say hello to the infamous…’Quinoa’
Quinoa (pronounced – ‘keen-wah’) dates back to almost 4000 years and was discovered by the Incas. It was believed to be a ‘food from the gods’ so much so it was even reserved for their mighty warriors!
Here are 7 of the main benefits:
1. It’s protein rich containing 9 essential amino acids. Great alternative to meat if you’re vegetarian.
2. It contains twice as much fibre as most other grains. A fibre rich diet helps to reduce constipation, prevent the risk of heart disease and keep blood pressure in order.
3. High in manganese, an antioxidant which protects cells from the effects of free radicals.
4. It contains Lysine. This is essential for muscle growth and repair.
5. Quinoa is rich in magnesium. This promotes healthy blood sugar and therefore reduces the effects of type-2 diabetes. It also helps to relax blood vessels, which reduces the chances of migraines.
6. Quinoa contains iron. Iron carries oxygen from one cell to another and supplies it to our muscles to aid in their contraction.
7. It’s high in the vitamin B2, which improves energy metabolism.
So go on, get yourself down to the supermarket and stock up this ‘super food’ staple!
PS: let us know if you’d like a nice quinoa recipe to follow? Our ladies love it!
Click here if you are looking for more advice on nutrition